Thanks to everyone who came to Canvas Round Table #2 last night at Tacchi Studios! It was a wonderful night of freeform group chat, meeting new faces, sharing and learning, and of course drinking.
The evening’s discussion included:
- Personal introductions – getting to know each other.
- Sales and marketing for small creative brands – Building brand awareness and selling products outside of marketplaces such as Society 6.
- Is the crowdfunding economy (Patreon, Kickstarter etc) motivating creatives to leave freelancing and try other methods of supporting themselves?
- Medium.com – What makes people publish on it? Is it really that great? How is it dealing with the problems of a growing platform?
- How to respond to the question “what’s your rate”? Why it’s important to know before someone asks you.
And some topics we covered regarding Canvas:
- Are creatives finding work via Canvas? Are businesses finding creatives to hire via it?
- How will Canvas help more creatives find work in the future? Where will these businesses come from?
- Should Canvas be a place for businesses and creatives to work together, or should it just be a social platform?
- How Canvas can improve its search and filtering tools to help businesses more easily find suitable creatives to hire.
- How Canvas needs to motivate creatives to share more of their best creations so businesses can quickly judge their suitability for a project.
- How members can get involved in organizing their own Canvas events and get involved with other aspects of the Canvas community.
- Success stories – members shared their experiences of finding others to work, collaborate, and make friends with.
The evening’s attendees:
And the Canvas/Tacchi Studios team who were present:
We’re looking forward to the next one already! Hopefully we can make it a monthly thing in the future.